1. Make sure that you have a title allowing you to access doctoral studies at UNIL.
2. Identify a thesis supervisor who is willing to follow your work within the faculty. Complete list of researchers by research theme:
3. As soon as a teacher accepts to supervise your thesis, register without delay at the Service des immatriculations et inscriptions (SII), register yourself and announce that you have done so at the following e-mail address: email@example.com.
4. Obtain the "PhD form" from the SII and send it or bring two copies of it duly completed and signed (future doctoral student + thesis supervisor) to the following address:
UNIL, Décanat FGSE
Géopolis - office 4611
Please take note: the section/branch/orientation field of the form can only contain one of the following four mentions: geography, earth sciences, environmental sciences, tourism studies (NB: your choice can still be modified later).
5. Once your thesis certificate validated by the Vice-Dean for Research, you will receive an e-mail from the Doctoral Students' Secretariat with the "Code of Ethics" form. Sign it and send it back to this Secretariat.
6. Comply with the FGSE guidelines on safety and protective measures for field work and travel abroad (see attached documents under Deanship Guidelines).
7. Make sure with your supervisor that a supervisory committee is set up for your thesis and meets during the first year of your thesis (see art. 14 RegDoc).
8. Before the annual meeting of your thesis supervisory committee, write your activity report on the basis of the ad hoc form ; the form provides a good guidance for describes this process. Communicate the first part of it to the committee members a few days before the meeting. At the end of the session, the second part of the form must be completed, and the whole report signed by yourself, your thesis director and the experts (the experts can validate this part of the report by an email). Your supervisor then communicates it to the Vice-Dean of Research via the Doctoral Students' Secretariat. Then make sure that your thesis director organizes such a meeting at least once a year throughout the thesis.
9. Every end of spring, you will receive a questionnaire from the Graduate Campus on the status of your thesis. Your thesis director will also receive a form to fill in. This "survey" is above all informative and can, if you wish, remain confidential.
10. Ask your thesis director about the modalities of the private colloquium (composition of the jury, schedule, proceedings, evaluation criteria, etc.) and coordinate the steps with him/her. Do not hesitate to ask the Secretariat of PhDs for further information if necessary.
11. Submit a printed copy of the thesis to the SD with
You don't need to reserve a room for the conference or the defense, the SD takes care of it.
12. Ask the thesis director about the modalities of the public defense (calendar, composition of the jury, procedure, evaluation criteria, etc.) and coordinate with him/her the steps to be taken.
13. Make any corrections requested by the thesis jury and send to the Doctoral Students' Secretariat within a maximum of three months (and at least one week before the date of the defense if it was scheduled at the end of the private colloquium), a new handwritten copy of the thesis signed for validation by your thesis director or by the person designated by the jury to validate the revised version. Check that the formal requirements for the presentation of the manuscript are perfectly fulfilled.
14. Deposit your imprimatur as soon as possible at the Cantonal and University Library (BCU-Dorigny) - at the latest six months after the defense - and make the required deposit of the various final copies of the thesis according to the RegDoc FGSE.
15. Print three copies of the notice of deposit of thesis downloadable opposite and send back one copy to the SD, duly completed and validated by the official stamp of the BCU.
16. Pay the registration fee for your defense (500.- CHF) within 10 days (an invoice will be sent to you between the date of the defense and the public defense).
17. Once these steps have been taken, you will receive a link by email allowing you to order your grade online. Notify the Doctoral Students' Secretariat by email once this last step has been completed to ensure that the order can be tracked. To deposit on SERVAL, complete and send to the Doctoral Students' Secretariat 3 copies of the SERVAL electronic deposit contract.
Géopolis - office 4611
Tel: +41 (0)21 692 62 93
Absent on Friday
Thesis deposit or personalized information by appointment
Regulation for the Doctoral degree (English translation)