The Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Political Science aims to provide the solid training necessary for understanding political phenomena.
The areas of political science taught at the Faculty of Social and Political Sciences are: history of political ideas, public policies, comparative political science, political sociology, international relations and studies focused on developing countries.
Political science also requires interdisciplinary knowledge, mainly deriving from sociology and history, philosophy, economics and law. It uses the investigative techniques and methodological tools of the social sciences.
Faculty of Social and Political Sciences
Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Political Science
30 April. If you require a visa to study in Switzerland: 28 February.
At UNIL, the following Master's programmes are open without further conditions to holders of the Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Political Science:
Studying with the Faculty of Social and Political Sciences offers a wide range of options. As a result, graduates in Political Sciences work in a variety of areas, in numerous professional sectors.
Except for a few specialist areas that require qualifications in a particular field, graduates may move into sectors that do not necessarily have a direct link with their discipline.
Career prospects depend partly on the choice of Master’s course.
Areas of activity
- Research in public or private-sector organisations, often in multidisciplinary groups
- Local, national or international public authorities and intergovernmental organisations: project management, coordination and advice to authorities
- Written and audiovisual information, and media
- Surveys and market research
- Cultural areas, for example, event management firms and publishing houses: event organisation and communications, management of cultural institutions, etc.
- Human resources, marketing, advertising and public relations
- Diplomacy, international organisations and international sporting organisations
- Political parties, trade unions, lobbying organisations, national or international think tanks
Every two years, the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (OFS) conducts a survey on graduate employment, one year after students have completed their course. View the results for Political Science graduates online:
- “Premier emploi après les études” (“First job after graduating”) survey on employment among Swiss university graduates
- De l’UNIL à la vie active (From UNIL to working life) – results of the survey for UNIL graduates specifically
Examples of positions
- Trade union secretary, SSP union, health sector